Wednesday, October 28, 2009

From roots to branches...



...I find myself walking in the woods along the lake shore. Sunlight filtering through the canopy of autumn hued leaves above. A light breeze off the water cooling my body as the setting sun battles to warm my face.

Something moves on the ground catching my attention. I think to myself, "Is that a snake up ahead? Why does it seem to be moving through the ground instead of above it?"

In the shadows more and more "snakes" appear... getting closer and closer every second.

Before I can move my legs are ensnared. I realize that the "snakes" are roots... wrapping up my ankles and tightening around my knees... forcing me to the ground... pulling me down under the surface of the earth.

I try to scream but only let out a gasp as their grip crushes my lungs. Soil covers my face... then darkness... and silence...

(What happens next? Leave your continuation in the comment section.)

2 comments:

Fenway said...

The first thing I know, I come face to face with the White Rabbit and then Alice, herself! It seems that I've fallen down the rabbit hole into Wonderland.

MCF said...

Or had I? As I sat with Alice and the Rabbit sipping tea, something felt wrong. The sky would occasionally shift to darker hues, and there was something almost...gritty about my beverage. My movements felt unnatural, and I felt restrained. But the dream continued, even as those roots continued to feed off my blood in the real world, exchanging an hallucogenic sap in the process that kept me sedated and in a dream state. If I was ever going to snap out of it and break free, there was only one thing that could happen next, and that was...