Thursday, January 01, 2009

Digits and such... a four part post... Day 4...

Happy New Year's!

The movements of the human hand are accomplished by two sets of each of these tissues. They can be subdivided into two groups: the extrinsic and intrinsic muscle groups. The extrinsic muscle groups are the long flexors and extensors. They are called extrinsic because the muscle belly is located on the forearm. (Go Wiki, go!)







Some people have more than the usual number of fingers or toes, a condition called polydactyly. Others may have more than the typical number of metacarpal bones, a condition often caused by genetic disorders like Catel-Manzke syndrome. The average length of an adult male hand is 189 mm, while the averrage length of an adult female hand is 172 mm. The average hand breadth for adult males and females is 84 and 74 mm respectively. (Wiki rules)





I hope you enjoyed my self exploration.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I enjoyed this 4 part hand exploration! The body is a very complex thing and totally amazing if you think about it!

Carletta said...

I went away and came back and thought I'd lost you. ;) I like the new look.
Now, if I could find somebody to read your palm for me!
Nice exploration.

All the best for the New Year!

Ming the Merciless said...

Happy New Year!