Saturday, July 26, 2008

Vino...

I was driving through Sayville, on the South Shore of Long Island, and while passing the Meadow Croft estate (one of the major Long Island homesteads of the famous Roosevelt family) I saw a sign inviting me to a tasting.

Although I have been to this estate before I had not realized that a dirt road behind the main house led to a vineyard. Loughlin Vineyard to be precise.

There were a few chairs and tables next to a small wooden cabin where some people were enjoying the shady breeze and a glass of vino. I was greeted inside by an elderly man that has owned the vineyard for quite some years.



He set up some shot sized cups and poured each of their four wines (Blush, Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Merlot) which I separated with some crackers. There were prices for additional purchases by the glass or half glass and I was offered a free half glass of my choice to enjoy by the rows of grapes.



I decided to purchase a bottle of the Merlot and relaxed in the shade with my glass while the alcohol warmed my blood. I have to do this more often....

6 comments:

Rachel said...

What a nice place to visit! Glad you were able to relax and I'm sure the peaceful surroundings and the wine helped.

Doggone it, I missed the WIIF picture! Love that red color on the old phone booth.

I loved the pictures of the birds being fed and your funny captions for each one!! Well done!!

JunieRose2005 said...

:) I'm sure that was a relaxing experience!... I didn't know Long Island had vineyards!

We did that once when we were in Ca....Fun! LOL- luckily my son in law agreed to be the driver that day-and not sample the wine!


Junie

Snaggle Tooth said...

I'm not big on wine- n don't drink much- but your pics are good!
I esescially like the artsy bottle with out of focus BG communicating intoxication-
Hopped over from my old blogger buddy Carmi's Comments after the ani pics.
Hope the ride home went ok...

b13 said...

Oh, it takes more than done wink to get de mrunk...

I hung around a bit and walked it off before continuing on my way ;)

carmilevy said...

My name means "my vineyard." Seriously. This entry resonated deeply with me, and not just because I loved "Sideways".

Thank you for taking us on yet another amazing journey.

The last pic is incredible. Love the foreground/background perspective.

Jamie Dawn said...

How nice.
I bet it was relaxing and pleasant to sit surrounded by the lovely vineyard.
I bet there's none of that wine left.