Monday, August 11, 2008

Playin'...

1:30:00 AM... I let three border collies out the back door for a late night emptying.

1:30:08 AM... The loudest ruckus begins as three border collies begin running through the yard barking REALLY loudly.

1:30:09 AM... I fear that there will be a cat/raccoon/squirrel/possum used as a tug toy by three border collies.

1:30:10 AM... I see the critter running along the stockade fence... from the front of the yard to the back and then again to the front. "BARK-BARK!"

1:30:12 AM... As I yell for the dogs to get in the house Devon and chance continue to bark and pound on the fence in hopes of knocking the "possum treat" to the ground.

1:30:18 AM... After three unsuccessful commands to "GET IN THE HOUSE, NOW!!!" I reassess the situation. Barking continues.

1:30:20 AM... First I call "CHANCE! Get in the house!" He looks and comes running for the door.

1:30:22 AM... Ella moves to the center of the yard. Devon Barks and bangs on the fence. Possum stands VERY STILL.

1:30:24 AM... "ELLA! COME!" She B-lines it to the door. Possum dashes along fence to rear of the yard. Devon smashes her paws against the fence and barks LOUDLY. Possum runs back to the middle of the fence for some cover from a tree.

1:30:30 AM... "DEVON! Get over here!" She looks at me... then at the possum... then hits the fence again. "DEVON! GET... OVER... HERE... NOW!", said with a raspyness that would make Batman™ cringe. She puts her head down and comes to the door.

I grabbed my camera and went out back. The possum was breathing heavy but standing perfectly still... playing possum.

I was standing within four feet of the critter and his look was one of thanks. Thanks for saving his life. Thanks for calling away the hounds of hell. I was just thankful that I wasn't taking three dogs to the emergency vet.

After snapping a few shots I went in the house and locked the doggie door fearing the critter might stupidly enter in the night. Giant rat lives to torment doggies another day.







Camera Critters

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ewe, I really don't like possums, but your photos made that one look rather cute. :-) Plus your story was really funny!

Tootie

timtim said...

ewww. creepy. Good thing your bc's are well behaved. Aren't they all??

Fenway said...

Really good tale telling, b13. The time stamp for the action development is a hoot. I love the 8 second lapse between the time they hit the back yard and the Great Possum Hunt took place. Real good pics, too...this is one of my favorite posts of all time.

The Plum TV controversy is a hoot. The letters are outstanding. If I'm asked about it on TV, I'm just going to remind them that a dog named Fenway can't lose in the state of MA. Also, we all know BC's are the smartest breed....they have campaign skills and a network that Obama would envy.

Thanks for your SUPPORT (and the XBox Nation, too!)

Lapa37 said...

They sure are some strange looking critters aren't they? Nice shots though

bobbie said...

Doesn't have a cute little hat and striped jacket like Pogo, but it's a cute little critter.

Misty DawnS said...

Oh yes, I know this scenario all too well! Imagine my surprise when all three of my Border Collies had to help each other carry a gigantic groundhog through the yard in the middle of Winter! They thought they had found the coolest play toy ever.

Snaggle Tooth said...

good close-ups-
I one of those living in the wall a couple winters ago- trapped in the basement n released.

Just wanted to add they're marsupials even if they do resemble rats (they're not as smart).