Thursday, July 26, 2007

She must be getting old...



My wife and I took a stroll and came across this contraption in the field of our local Jr. High School. A sign warned us not to go on the equipment and that it would be considered trespassing.

My first thought was, "I want to climb that thing!" Then I thought, "If I was ten years younger I would have climbed it without even thinking that."

Then she said out loud, "Who in their right mind would let their kid on that?"

I explained that it looks like there are holds and cables where clips would go to secure a climber as they progress upward and over. I would have had a field day in high school and college. She, on the other hand, said if her kid came home and said they had done that she would have complained to the school.

I think we are getting too overprotective of our kids. With bike helmets and padding... I'm sorry, but I never used any of that junk as a kid. I took my fair share of spills... had a few scraps, cuts, and bruises... but come on already. They make these laws so that the industry can make a fortune on helmets IMO.

And to those that will say, "Well you don't have any kids so you don't know..." Sorry, but I was one, and a very active one at that... so I know... and my kids will know the type of fun I enjoyed as a child.

9 comments:

Darrell said...

What is that thing, anyway? Looks like a great makeshift cow catapult.

b13 said...

I think you climb up the middle and scale across to the sides and climb down. Crazy jungle gym... I'll have to get the Border Collie to learn how to do it.

That "Cowtapult" is cool... but not as cool as the Squirrel Slingshot.

:( Poor little squirrels :(

Anonymous said...

Wait a minute? Your kids will know? I thought you weren't having any kids!! Is there something you need to tell me?

b13 said...

You never know. Maybe in a few years. It all depends on if she'll let them go on that contraption.

Scarlet said...

The only place for helmets is on motorcycles.

I'm with you, take the fall, like a man (even if you're a kid!).

You'll make a cool daddy. Keep practicing!

b13 said...

Oh, trust me, I like the practice ;)

JunieRose2005 said...

Oh! I agree- Bike helmets are going a little far! Really!! Kids need to have fun !


....but - on our motorcycle I DO wear a helmet!


Junie

MCF said...

Bike helmets are a good idea, but I'm glad that law came to pass after I outgrew bikes. They make some really dorky looking headgear. I don't know why they can't make them look more like motorcycle helmets or something cooler.

On another note, I don't think repeated head injuries have affected B13 in the slightest. ;)

Darrell said...

MCF: They make some really dorky looking headgear.

What's wrong with dorky headgear?