Saturday, August 01, 2009

Measured in fear...

I was trimming back my out-of-control holly tree and came face to... um... pincers with this stick-like creature. Upon closer inspection I realized that it looked like a HUGE inchworm. Now, the a inchworms I've seen in the past were cute and would crawl along an inch at a time. This monster was as thick as a No. 2 pencil and about 6 inches long! Do you dare click this image for a desktop sized version???


It was hanging upside own and VERY still with a piece of silk connecting its body to a lower branch. I thought it might be getting ready to spin a cocoon, but it was gone when I checked for it the next day. For that moment where I stared from an inch away... a hint of fear... and a bit of disgust ;)


Be sure to check out more critters using the below link:


Camera Critters 1st Anniversary

10 comments:

Carletta said...

This reminds me of something out of Star Wars.
Super shot! But ugh..... ;)

mimi said...

what a worm. great captured.

DeniseinVA said...

That is an amazing creature. Fantastic macro's.

Dirkjogt said...

This is really creapy!

Adrienne Zwart said...

Hmm, I don't think that one's going to be showing up as anyone's wallpaper. I would have freaked and had no photo to show for it, so kudos to you for being calm enough to think of that!

Mara said...

Is that really a critter? Are you sure it's not a branch? Aren't animals fantastic camouflagers!!!

Snap said...

Euuuuuuwwwwww! Wow! I hope he doesn't visit in my dreams!

Kilauea Poetry said...

He does have a two little horn things that remind me of the centipedes here..but hmm? I know what you mean - you wonder what they could do? Ha, nice macro though. Cheers-

Carrie said...

I couldn't bring myself to click the picture that is one of the ugliest creatures I have ever seen. Thanks for sharing ... I think.

Olly Hitchen said...

I dared... and enjoyed it! lol. great shots and a lovely example of chance!