Monday, June 02, 2008

California... Day 4... Part 3 of 3...

We took a walk about a mile to Barker Dam. We had to! Chance is a barker and he wanted to see what all the fuss was about.


The dam was built in the 1800s to help local cattle men keep their livestock watered but the area proved to be too harsh and the cattle men moved on to other areas.


The dam has created an oasis in the middle of the desert where animals thrive and these green backed birds and fish were plentiful. There were quite a few of them darting about and one almost clipped me while I was snapping away with my camera.


I didn't see any vultures, but there were other scavengers about. This one is ready to watch over your desktop. The full sized image is just a click away.


Chance wasn't the only gazer at the dam.


Noah is going to be so jealous ;)


At first I wasn't too impressed... but it kinda grew on me.


Driving back I spotted this snailsquidmonstercloud attacking a mountain!


Chance decided it was time for a drink after that desert walk...


Followed by a much needed nap.


Over the next two days I will conclude my California trip. I hope you'll join me.

6 comments:

MCF said...

Something about the lighting on that first shot makes it look like a set-up shot for a miniature Chance figurine, available this Fall from MacFarlane Toys...

Ele ^_^ said...

Wonderful photos as always! The first one is great!!!

Fenway said...

It's so surreal to see Chance in that setting...almost looks like a photoshopped BC. NIce skull, too.

JunieRose2005 said...

Oh!! These are great photos!!

That first one of Chance is just soooo special!! You should frame that one!

What an interesting outing this must have been for you guys! I can see the dog liked the adventure! :)


Junie

Carletta said...

The first photo of chance does remind me of Lassie!
The rest are gorgeous as always.

Noah said...

Ha, yeah I think the sign may be more awesome than the rock! Though they're both cool. If only you'd added an "s" to the word skull...