Sunday, December 07, 2008

With the holiday fast approaching...

I need to send a hat tip to Two Barking Dogs who posted the below video.

Please take a look as it is informative and inoffensive.



I've had a few inquiries over the past few weeks regarding puppies around the holidays. I got my first pooch, Chris, on Christmas when I was a young child. We got him from the North Shore Animal League and he was a great friend that I'll never forget.

Please think a purchase or adoption through before making a snap judgment. You are not buying a car or a toaster. A dog is a lot of work and they grow up; they get big; they need training and patience... BUT they will give you the most love and affection they can muster until their dying day.

It is very upsetting to recall how often I hear firsthand about people that buy or adopt puppies that end up going back to a shelter. A pet gets attached quickly... so think about your commitment before bringing a dog or cat home.

And about pet stores... a NO-NO! No matter what they tell you... they are buying from brokers that deal with puppy mills. You may feel like you are "saving one" but think of the others that are suffering in deplorable conditions. Your purchase supports and confirms additional breedings that are not tested for genetic diseases and the betterment of the animal.

I don't want to talk until I'm blue in the face but please do your research and make an educated decision. And have a VERY HAPPY HOLIDAY!

7 comments:

Carletta said...

Wonderful post!

Unknown said...

Great post.. thanks. So soooo much agree. Our pets have always come from local rescue shelters and have been great pets.

Thanks for stopping by my place.

Anonymous said...

Yes, great post... and I'll add... please make sure your recipient wants a pet before just getting them one. You'd think that common sense but you'd be surprised.

DeniseinVA said...

This is a great post. If it's okay I will also post it on my blog, providing a link back to yours so that people can read what you have to say about adopting a new pet.

b13 said...

Earlier today I deleted a LOOOOONG comment that consisted of about 50 consecutive links. It was spam and even with sign-in identities the spammers seem to be getting through.

I hope Susan is a real because her comment seems truly sincere. The link to the insurance page and the minimalist profile that was created last month makes me think otherwise.

If you are real, thank you and I hope you will visit again and enjoy what I offer.

b13 said...

...and now I know it is spam. :(

Rachel said...

All so very true!! People get their kids dogs or cats for Christmas and then a few months later when no one is wanting to feed them or be responsible for them and they realize the bad snap judgement they made, then they take the animal to the shelter or drop it off on the road somewhere. Very sad.