Saturday, September 01, 2007

Do you swing?...

One of my favorite things to do at the playground. I used to try to go all the way around and at times got pretty high. Growing up... before we actually spruced up my parents backyard with a patio... we had a dirt yard with a VERY BIG oak tree. We attached a long rope and a tire and I used to get a good 15 feet or so in the air. I used to love jumping off and rolling into the dirt... much to my mother's hitonium.

Our local park had swings with extremely long chains on them. those got good height and were great to sit on and twist up so you could spin REALLY fast and get dizzy. It sucked getting your fingers caught in those chains though. I've been back to that park recently and all the chains have a rubber coating to prevent that from happening now. It seems that everything that was good enough for us has been sanitized in this day and age. Helmets... body padding... rubber coated equipment... God forbid a child should get a scratch or bump...

I saw an episode of Myth Busters where they ended up using rockets to propel a body with enough force to complete a full rotation on a chain-link swing... I'll leave that feat to dare-devils and circus performers.



When did you last swing? Do you protect your children too much? Or do you let "life lessons" happen?

6 comments:

Jamie Dawn said...

I've always been protective, but as my kids have gotten older, I've had to let go little by little.
They are ages 17 & 19 now, so they pretty much do their own thing.
I used to love to swing on the swings. I liked having contests with my friends to see who could jump the farthest off the swing.
I don't remember getting my fingers caught in the chains. Maybe I've blocked that out.
My dad was pushing me on the swings when I was about three. I fell out of the swing backwards and bumped my head. My hair grows from that spot with a little curl to this day. Weird, huh?

b13 said...

Weird indeed. I have heard of having white hair grow from a banged spot... but curly... my wife must have been hit in the head a lot ;)

And I updated my copy... with a little nod to you ;)

Jamie Dawn said...

Hitonium - I LOVE it!!!!

I just came back to try my hand at guessing this week's photo, and I SAW your non-hitonious addition.

I've never used the word in that form before!!!
This is ground breaking!!!!!!!!!

You've earned an extra raffle entry for this.

Scarlet said...

I loved to swing and haven't been on one since my daughter was a tot. I used to close my eyes as I went higher hoping I'd flip over and still be on the seat on the way down. I like to jump off on the way up, too. I never got hurt, thank God!!

Great pic, by the way!

Rachel said...

I love to swing!! Let's see...it's been a good while....about 10 years probably. You have made me want to do it again soon! Thanks for taking me down memory lane. We had a tire swing at home when I was a kid and we would wind it up and then spin around and around as it unwound!! Then your head would be swimming!! I'm too old to try that now!

JunieRose2005 said...

I'm not a swinger anymore! ;(


Junie