Sunday, January 06, 2008

A peahen... in this cold?...

I was taking some pictures on Long Island today and stopped at a mostly frozen lake. Among the birds I saw this girl that my wife insisted "...couldn't be a peacock. It must be a quail!"

I said, "Look at the head crest. It's a peacock but it has no tail feathers." I thought these birds wouldn't be able to survive a cold NY winter. But supposedly they are raised on LI and this one may have escaped or may be a resident of the park I was at.

I passed the image on to MCF and he quickly sent some internet images that confirmed it was indeed a peahen. "Who woulda' thunk it?"



I wish they would clean up all the trash along the lake :(



Check back tomorrow for another bird that has my wife and I guessing. It's a small, black feathered, white beaked, web-footed bird that was hanging out with the peahen, ducks, and geese.

1 comment:

JunieRose2005 said...

Yep-looks like a peahen. But it's surprising to me to see it there on LI.

I have a good, close up, pic of one that was nesting (in St.Augustine, Fl at an attraction/park) I got it a few years back. Lol- I was down on my hands and knees, to get up close to that bird. Would have sent it on to you to compare but can't see your email here anywhere. If you want to see it just email and let me know.

Junie