Wednesday, April 25, 2007

We all have our boundaries...

Be it invisible, pvc, aluminum, or wood... we all have our boundaries. These fields were separated by wood posts and wire fencing but a row of trees was left as a natural boundary.





I am a very politically incorrect individual in my private life. In a public environment (like this isn't public) I try not to offend people. But sometimes I will read or hear something that just gets me to say out loud... "ARE THEY FREAKIN' KIDDING ME?!!!"

Yes, it is worthy of a question mark and THREE exclaimation points.

Today I saw a news story on CNN about an asian-american woman that was offended by ANOTHER two NY radio jocks that did a skit with a robotic voice asking questions at a chinese take out. Asking for "flied lice" and junk like that. She is now trying to get them taken off the air. You know what? GROW THE FREAK UP!

People joke about things. Whether its about me being a guinea, my wife being a jew, the pizza bagels that we may raise one day, my gay friends, my black friends, my druken irish friends, my "asian" friends (Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese)... whatever. The point is we are all friends; we all joke about each other, and life goes on. Just get over it.

3 comments:

Jamie Dawn said...

This is Jamie Dawn, your Irish-Scottish-Cherokee blog buddy.

I rove flied lice wiv a ett roll.

MCF said...

We really DID take the exact same photos that day. I cropped in to one tree before posting, but I did the three in a row like that too.

I think there is a difference between saying something on the air and broadcasting, and joking around with your friends who know you well. If I verbally spar with Rey and we throw Italian and Spanish remarks back and forth, it doesn't usually cross the line because we know the other doesn't mean it. We've said some horrendous things in our day, with our mixed ethnic bag of college friends as well. When a doctor who never met him said that crap about "do you speak English?" however, that was worse because it stemmed from a preconceived assumption about a race, not teasing an individual, and was something he actually believed. A remark from a stranger whose stance and intent are unknown is different than one from a pal who's just ribbing you. What that woman's friends joke about and what people she's never met say on the radio are two different things.

Respecting that other people are sensitive and not making sophomoric jokes is just as much a part of growing up as developing a thick skin.

That being said, while the woman has every right to be offended and complain, even ask for an apology, I'm not sure the level of offensiveness merits pulling the DJs. The Imus thing may have set a bad precedent, like all the frivolous lawsuits that arose after the woman won the case against Mickey D's when she spilled hot coffee on herself.

Now, lessa political commentary and more photos, ya fat guinea b@st@rd. ;)

b13 said...

They are hired to entertain and they do it well. If you don't like it... turn it off... you fast driving, pot calling the kettle black, mafioso-WOP!

Oh, wait... that's me.

You are the slow driving, pot calling the kettle black, mafioso-mario looking-WOP! ;)