Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Kal-i-for-nigh-Aye.... Day 1...

So the wife and I went to California last week. We haven't been on a real vacation in over nine years and I think I can say we still haven't been.

We saw some nice sights, met some nice people, and got some ribbons for our dogs... but we had our crap days too.

Over the next few days I will be posting pictures and detailing our journey. I hope you will come along for the ride through the good and the bad.

We arrived at JFK and tried the curbside check-in. We had a woman in front of us and two attendants. One attendant helped the woman in front of us and the other stood there until another woman walked up behind us. He then began to help HER!

Yes, ignored us and then acted like nothing was wrong. We went inside and did SELF check in and then rushed to long-term-parking and the train back to the terminal. After passing through security and RUNNING to our gate, an attendant was walking out of the corridor attached to the plane and shut the door.

Yes, we missed the flight by about 30 seconds. After telling about our ordeal we were given seats on the next flight... three hours later. Great start.


The flight was nice, but none of the headphone jacks worked... YAY! We ended up playing an on-screen trivia game against other passengers and got first place of all time on the top ten scores.


I adjusted these pictures a little to get rid of some of the haze but I love the effect it created. And look at that curve on the horizon!


We passed over the Grand Canyon and had some great views through the clouds.




Finally on the ground we met up with one of our pups. Look how big Cayenne has gotten! She turned out to be a fabulous dog and her human mommies love her very much.


I hated losing a day to the flight so I decided to take a ride into the mountains with our rented GPS.


Twenty minutes into our ride we came across what I believe is a coyote.


I asked my wife to punch in the hotel info into the GPS for our return trip and she began to nap as I drove. After a few long stretches I questioned if the GPS was taking us a round-about way. The problem was that we punched in the hotel in LA... not Claremont (where our hotel actually was)... So we took a little ride out of the way, but we got to see LA at night. On to day two...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I took a couple of trips out to LA, one for business and the other for a different sort of business/pleasure. Getting lost (once w/ GPS and once without) was funner than fun.

Fenway said...

Oh, boy. I can see we're all in for a bumpy ride.

Glad you have a sense of humor about it (you do, don't you???!!!)

Very cool coyote shot. That some serious dog! And the Canyon and earth curvature shots are great.

Cayenne looks lovely!

So...should we pass on LA as a dream destination? haha

timtim said...

Great shots! Love the coyote and the Grand Canyon. The shots from the plane are great too. Of course, the BC is spectacular! Sounds fun so far!

Carletta said...

I see what you were saying about the vacation - bummer.
But, on the bright side - you got some AWESOME shots. The one of the plane is so clear - how'd you do that out those foggy ole windows! :)
All this and a coyote too!

The Border Collies said...

Actually, I'm pretty sure that's a stray dog, not a coyote. Coyotes are narrower, with very think pointed faces. I think you've got a Brown Dog there, with a short muzzle, thick head and wide body :)

Barbara said...

I like the shots of the Grand Canyon and the other views from the airplane. Not a very good start - I shall look forward to hearing about the rest of the holiday.

JunieRose2005 said...

Well, I'm loving your vacation pictures- even tho it was a bummer!

:) and you got to see one of your pups! That's cool!!


Junie